Friday, October 7, 2011

HOLDING A GRUDGE

"When everything in you wants to hold a grudge, point a finger and remember the pain, God wants you to lay it all aside" -R. T. Kendall (from the book 'Total Forgiveness'.

I've been cleaning out some drawers today, and I came across notes from a sermon on forgiveness that Pastor Warren Sullivan preached way back in 2007! Yes, I realize I have a paper hoarding problem, but I can see why I've held on to this-here some of what I gleaned from the sermon:

Forgiveness is not-
approving of what they did.
excusing what they did.
pretending we are not hurt.
immediate restoration of a trust relationship.
pardoning what they did (or release from consequences).

Forgiveness is-
Being aware of what someone has done and still forgiving them. Romans 5:8
Keeping no records of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:5
Being merciful. Matthew 5:7
The absence of bitterness. Ephesians 4:31

Guess what verse I meditated on during my morning devotions? Mark 11:25- And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.




1 comment:

betty said...

That is a good thing to meditate on. I like what Rick Warren said about forgiveness in the Purpose Driven Life. We must forgive but the person we forgave has to earn back our trust and we don't have to welcome them back with open arms with no reservations, but we must forgive them; because after all, God has forgiven us of so much!

betty