Monday, March 21, 2011

Building My House!


I been thinking a lot about Proverbs 14:1 ... "a wise woman builds her house". This time of year I always get this itch for home improvement. Living in a very old house (98 years), there are lots of things that need updating, renovating, and just plain bulldozing! Generally we spend enough money to keep the house from falling down, and not much more. At any rate, I don't think this verse has any thing to do with Lowe's or Home Depot.

God made us for living in the most wonderful place ever-Eden, and I think our homes should reflect that. Home should be a place of refuge, safety, relaxation, intimacy-a place we long for! That's the kind of house we women need to build. This can be done at ANY price point-it doesn't depend on spending scads of money. Flowers picked from the yard or a bunch from the grocery store, a scented candle, beautiful music, a cup of tea and a piece of cinnamon toast; these are the things that make a house a home. Too often I fall into the trap of pining for those homes featured in magazines,wishing for 'more' than I have. How ungrateful I can be!!

Every family is different, so every home will be different, and that's just fine! We just have to take care to not pattern our home based on what the world thinks is important. Remember the old hymn...on Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand...?
If we build our houses on Yaweh Tsuri, The Lord My Rock, our homes will be sacred and holy!

No comments: