Monday, March 21, 2011

Expectations

Matthew 11:28: Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Heb. 4:10,11: For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest,
   Diligent in Hebrews 4:11 means to make haste or make every effort. Is the word used to remind us that we shall not drift into rest? There must be the will to enter in. Perhaps what demands most will power is the resolution to cease from our own works, our own busy-ness, and to stay our minds upon our God.
   We pray, and the answer is not what we expect. It seems an answer of loss, and sometimes loss upon loss. We must cease from our own thoughts about it and  believe that what He has allowed is the perfect answer for the moment. As we believe, and accept, we enter into rest and the sense of strain passes into peace.
   This covers all life: the illness of those we love, mental or spiritual suffering, the unexplained, everything. Let us not lose one hour in needless ineffective distress. Let us hasten by an act of the will to come to Him for rest.
                                from: 'Whispers of His Power' by Amy Carmichael

'The answer is not what we expect' This is hard for me sometimes. When dealing with a difficult situation that is lengthy in duration, do you ever get to where your expectations get out of line? You know, 'Okay Lord, I've been obedient, patient, etc. there should be change by now. I don't want to do this anymore and its just not fair.' And then I notice the despair and the lack of joy settling in. I'm out of his rest. No expectations - except that he knows what is right for this moment and I will believe him and accept it, because I can trust him! Then I can live in that rest and have peace and joy. I don't want to lose one more hour in that needless distress. How about you?

No comments: