Monday, April 11, 2011

Contentment

I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. Philippians 4:11-12


I've been meditating on this verse ever since Peggy posted 'Knowing Calvary
Love'. If you missed Peggy's post-you really should read it! This paragraph has really impacted me-"Don't wish for anything that isn't. Whatever our clouds and rain may be,whatever form they take, let us see God's hand behind the scene. He waters the mountains, the clouds and the rain do not come of themselves. Whether it is rain or sunshine for us today, let us begin our song of thanksgiving."

Almost four years ago, I suffered a debilitating knee injury. My surgeon called my injury catastrophic, claiming a more likely result of my accident was likely death- from ripping open my femoral artery, or losing my leg- from kinking the artery and cutting off the blood supply. I was told that a generation ago-even if neither of those had happened, my leg would have been amputated anyway, because the prevailing thought then was that one could not recover from such an injury.

Miracles and blessings! How we praised God! Yes, there was MONTHS of being bed-ridden, MONTHS of physical therapy, but here I am today-walking!! Thank-you Jesus! Praise the Lord!

...and yet, my sinful nature has caused me to waste so much time wishing for what isn't. I've fostered an attitude of ingratitude. I've focused on those things which I can no longer do, those things which cause me pain. Those things that limit me and make me feel like I wear a sign on my back-BROKEN. A song of thanksgiving in the midst? Uhmmmm-I forgot that tune.

And yet. God uses sweet friends like Peggy to pierce my heart. God uses writers like Ann Voskamp to lead me into thankfulness. (if you've not read her book, 'One Thousand Gifts', you should) God uses His Word to change me. God's Holy Spirit in me, bringing contentment, thankfulness, JOY!

No comments: